It’s a well known fact how difficult it’s to ride a motorcycle in winter. Some motorcycle riders dread even short rides on his or her motorcycle during the season because of how the cold intensifies on a motorcycle. As a result, keeping a grip on the throttle becomes next to impossible while the snow makes it difficult for the rider to browse with ease. This makes riding a bike dangerous.
Precautionary Actions to take
The steps given below can help any motorcycle rider who is considering making a journey on his or her motorcycle in difficult cold weathers.
1) Layer up: The most obvious precautionary measure that every rider should take would be to layer up like an onion. Put on a motorcycle suit with other apparel items such as a leather jacket to keep them warm. Many companies specialize in inner wear for cold weather, and each rider should invest in some as they have the potential of keeping the rider warm as it is freezing.
2) Gloves: Keeping the hands warm is crucial as most body heat escapes from the hands. Every rider should wear sturdy gloves which will trap the body warmth. Wearing gloves will also protect the hands from freezing which is very dangerous.
3) Visor: Another issue riders face during winters is the fact that due to moisture, the visor frequently fogs up. Riders can invest in helmets that have fog proof visor or wear a mask in the helmet combined with a windproof balaclava.
4) Drive slow: Cold tires have less traction which makes breaking more difficult as the motorcycle starts sliding. 1 precautionary step riders can take is to drive slow and give themselves ample space from the vehicle in front of them.
5) Heated equipment: For riders who intend on driving in extremely cold temperatures, it is recommended that they invest in heated clothes. The only drawback to this gear is that it’s attached to the motorcycle and a number of riders tend to overlook that fact and break apart the wiring as they walk off. The other choice is battery powered gear. These things will create heat comparable to electrical gear except battery life is limited to 6 to 8 hrs at max temperature. But really, who wants to ride more than 8 hours on a winter’s day? Another drawback to battery powered equipment is you must remember to recharge the device before reuse.
6) Other apparel: Riders can also put money into winter protection gear that can help provide protection against the intense cold, these items such as foot warmers, detachable windscreen and hand guards. These items are available at an attractive price and are readily available in the market.
Most of all, if you end up on an icy street, do not freak out. Drive slowly and keep the throttle at a constant speed. Additionally, ensure that your bike is prepped and ready for the drive. Finally, invest in the essential apparel mentioned above. This equipment will help protect every bike rider in the cold ensuring a comfortable ride.