For all we know, automobile airbags are among the very best protective measures which help reduce the impact of an accident on the passengers.
Functioning of Airbags
In each car, facilitated with airbags, there is a sensor with the capability to detect a collision. In case of a collision, the detector sends an electrical signal to the airbag storage. The signal reaches an igniter compound that gets warmed up to result in the decomposition of sodium azide within the compartment. Additionally, the heat contributes to the filling of the airbag with nitrogen. All of this happens in a remarkably compact duration of 0.03 seconds, and within 0.05 minutes of the collision, the inflated airbag creates a buffer between the occupants of the car and the steering column/dashboard.
Advantages of Airbags
While it has been pointed out at the decline in fatality rate because of the presence of airbags, let us delve deeper to understand some other advantages that they entail:
• Airbags prove to be extremely effective in protecting the passengers out of any substantial head, neck or spine injury by offering these parts with sufficient cushioning.
• Airbags restrict the distance that the head of the passenger hurls forward, thereby lowering the risk of injury to the head.
Limitations of Airbags
This may lead to injuries and severe burns.
• The installation of airbags is known to reach incredibly high speeds of around 200 mph, and may, therefore, result in acute fractures or internal injuries because of this. This is especially the case when the driver’s body is too near the steering column.
• For the airbags to be truly effective, it is essential that vehicles have bothfront as well as side airbags.
Tips Pertaining Airbags
• You must always invest in a car that delivers both, front and side airbags.
• You should always use your seat belt, as airbags end up being more successful when deployed on a belted passenger.
• In case your car’s airbags have been deployed as a result of collision, you must make certain you get them re-installed only in an authorized auto car care center.
We hope that you now have a fair knowledge regarding the role of airbags in a car. Until next time, keep safe!